NEW! Exciting Online course with essays, videos, downloads, whiteboard theory lessons, and the roadmap to becoming a really good piano tuner! Learn to tune a piano with an Electronic Tuning Device (ETD) Exactly the way professional piano tuners do it every day all over the world. The majority of this course is taught on the Sanderson Accutuner. You can also use the less expensive TuneLab app.
Tools You Need to Begin
1. Tuning Hammer and simple rubber or felt mutes like the ones in this simple beginner tool kit for about $50 on Amazon https://amzn.to/3Zx78a7
2. You will need some type of Electronic Tuning Device or App — don’t worry, there is a full working free trial of TuneLab (available for Android and Windows computers) TUNELAB APP (Regular cost $300) http://tunelab-world.com/pianotuner
You can actually use the free version to tune a whole piano and the trial never ends.
THIS IS THE MOST COMPREHENSIVE COURSE AVAILABLE ONLINE FOR LEARNING TO TUNE WITH AN ETD AND LEARNING THE TIPS AND TRICKS TO BECOME A COMPETENT PIANO TUNER. To put it bluntly, there is no easier and faster way to become a competent piano tuner.
Demonstrations on GRAND and UPRIGHT pianos throughout the course. All techniques can also be used to tune spinet pianos.
Do you want to learn to tune pianos? Do you want the road map to piano tuning success. Do you need to shave years off the learning process and start making money as a piano tuner in a few months? Yes! I can help you do that. I am going to teach you for day one how to tune a piano using an ETD (electronic tuning device). I am going to show you the way… behind the curtain, the secrets, the fundamentals that will set you on a path to becoming the best piano tuner and technician in your city. Many people start learning with other systems and give up before they have success. They do that because it’s hard and they have the wrong road map. It can become somewhat impossible to become great tuner/technician if you learn the wrong way or waste years on the wrong approach. I started making money tuning after just 6 months of studying part time with my 2 piano tuning mentors. In this course, I will show you everything I learned and help you get started fast. I’ve watched many people start leaning piano tuning and quit because they were being guided down a silly path full of theory and outdated techniques. I’m going to show you how the best and most successful modern piano tuners work and tune and thrive in this industry. You will be able to tune a whole piano with confidence when you complete this course and the exercises I provide.
- What you will accomplish – YOU WILL LEARN TO TUNE AND MASTER TENSION AND TUNING OF THE PIANO
- How long will it take: 1-6 Months – You should get through the theory and the video material in less than a month and after 3-6 months of consistent practice, you should feel very confident.
- How to practice – learn single string light stopping, then learn to tune and clean unisons , then tune a whole piano multiple times practicing all of the techniques over and over!
- How many pianos should you tune before you start making money? 50, 100, 300, 1,000? I can tell you my students can start within a month of real serious dedicated practice. The key is the jump in… you won’t learn it all on a single piano in your home. You need to encounter a lot of pianos and a lot of scenarios. This is where you will get really good fast. I show you how to get the confidence you need to start tuning for pay fast!
- Partner with a technician… someone you trust to help you. If you can’t find someone in your city, I can be your mentor through the Apex Patreon.
- The APTN offers resources to help you start your business and grow as a piano technician. This is the starting point and soon, you can become a Certified Piano Technician right here with the APTN!
It is critical that you start with the hands on sections as soon as possible. Learning the physical aspect of tuning will take the most time. The theory and head knowledge will sink in over time as you learn. Watch the videos on theory several times until you begin to really understand what I am talking about. No part of this course if fluff. Every part is critical and I will say it in the least words possible and in a way you can soak it in. The concepts I will teach you will lay the foundation for your success. After you have tuned 1,000 pianos, you will still go back to these core concepts to guide your decisions in the field. These concepts will separate you from other piano tuners and give you the edge you need to thrive in any situation.
When you start the hands on part of this course follow this order.
- Learn to tune single strings and stop the lights on the tuning device.
- Train your ear to tune unisons, getting familiar with the feel of the tuning hammer. Learn to hear and clean unisons until you get really comfortable.
- Start with your ETD and tune a whole piano from A0 – A88 and then clean it up. Repeat this over and over until your pianos start sounding really good.